Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Waiting for the Meteor Shower

On Thursday evening I decided to check the Internet to see where the best place and time in Sarasota might be to catch the Perseid Meteor Shower. I discovered that a group was meeting with a county parks guide just before midnight at the Red Bug Slough Preserve and immediately signed up for the event. Called a friend to join me. "Hey, what plans do you have for midnight?" LOL. NOT your everyday message. Turned out he was excited to come along.
What fun - groups of friends, families, couples - you name it - with blankets, and lawn chairs, and sleeping bags. Of course, I brought my tripod. The sky had a heavy cloud cover - big, gray clouds. There were occasional openings of starry skies, but then the clouds would move in again. I never really saw anything more than a flash or two - certainly never managed to capture any of it for posterity.
But, sitting out there (covered in bug spray 'cause I am no lover of insect bites) with a good friend, in the dark, listening to the thousands of frogs singing while watching the sky was something special. (Of course, the possibility that we were sitting there disguised as gator food crossed my mind as well, since the area is marshy).
Sometimes the experience isn't taking the photos. Rather, the experience is in just being.

No comments: