Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shooting the Moon

Yes, I was one of those crazy people out in the cold (even here in Florida) during the lunar eclipse last December. Of course cold here (perhaps was in the 30s that night) is way different than cold was for my friends farther north. I cozied myself up in a few layers of sweats and a winter jacket to watch the skies for several hours that night. (When you are not moving - cold feels even colder!)
I had planned to use my trust SLIK tripod, but no dice. The moon was directly overhead and the only way I'd be able to see through the viewfinder of my DSLR would have been if I were on my knees. Since the knees aren't what they used to be, I decided against it.
So, I pulled a sand chair out of the trunk of my car and sat there, looking up at the moon, with camera to my eye. Shooting at night without the use of a tripod to steady the camera is not easy! I kept my arms close to my body, held my breath, and shot. Lots of breath holding that night — and lots of photos that no one will ever see! But this one's a keeper. There are others, including the red moon, which I'll post another day. But I really like the simple black and white shot.
This was shot at F6.7, 1/250, 300mm, 100 ISO.





No comments: