Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Another point of view

A few weeks ago I visited longtime friends in St. Augustine, Florida. It was a jam-packed weekend. We spent hours catching up on the latest in our lives. But we also spent some time seeing the sites. What a great place St. Augustine is. I had only been there once before, but it was an overnight visit to attend a press convention dinner, and I saw nothing of the area. My friend Joanne gave me the grand tour — from the historic sites, to the wonderful restaurants, to the beautiful beaches.


The main building of Flagler College is the former Ponce de Leon Hotel. It is beautifully appointed. Look at the work in this women's room! When was the last time you saw a fireplace in a bathroom? Had to shoot it!

Chandeliers. Beautiful moldings!

Today's photos are not the usual "vacation" shots. A wise photographer once told me to look around and shoot something that no one else was shooting. What great advice that was! Yes, I took some of the typical tourist photos, but these are of the women's room inside the beautiful main building of Flagler College. This isn't your everyday women's room, for sure.
When you pick up your camera, ask yourself "What can I do to make this photo different from the others?" You can crouch down low, climb up high and shoot down, take a different angle, focus on the fine details, or simply just shoot photos in a place one doesn't normally find fellow camera nuts. I guarantee you will always find a point of view that will mark that shot as your own.

Closeup of the trim over the mantel.

Door handle on the carved wood door. (And yes, the door is quite heavy.)

No comments: