Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad - wherever your spirit might be

We lost my Dad in 2002, a week after his 80th birthday. And although he is not constantly on my mind, I do stop and think of him now and then. Fortunately, I had decided to surprise Dad - and Mom too - and flew from Florida to New Jersey to be there for the grand celebration.
He was quite ill - he'd been battling cancer for so many years - and we all knew this would be his last birthday.
Daddy was so happy - I think he was surprised he made it that far - and having most of the family around him made him actually enjoy himself. He ate, had birthday cake - even had a beer. He looked better than he'd looked for some time.
I brought my camera along. (Not so unusual, I usually always have it with me.) The photos from that day were happy - no - joyous! There was no sense of sickness or death, we were just any old family having a party.
At the time, I had no idea I'd be taking that flight north again the following week.
The best part is that the last time I saw him he was happy and feeling good - and instead of saying "good-bye," we said "hello." How wonderful is that?
Hello Dad, wherever you are - Happy 88th birthday - July 20, 2010.

No comments: